In this mini episode I’ll summarise what happened in Australian politics for the month of July 2017. We’ll take a closer look at how many senators were kicked out for being foreigners, and why no legislation was passed at all.
Some of your questions answered in this episode:
- Has there been a case where a politician had been there for so long and not technically been eligible?
- Will they have to pay their salary back?
- Would they be entitled to a parliamentary pension?
- Is all of the legislation they voted on null and void?
- Has this been tested in the High Court before?
- What is this foreign power they hold allegiance to?
- What can we do to change it?
If you’re interested in reading further, check out:
- That pesky part of the Constitution.
- The ABC’s take on Canavan, and Voting Yoda’s too.
- Who is Heather Hill, and what significant precedent did she cause?
- Voting Yoda answers all the burning questions here.
- Who gets one of those fancy parliamentary pensions these days?
- What is that oath of office business?