In this episode Annie and I discuss what a plebiscite is, how it differs from a referendum, and why everyone keeps talking about them? Without getting too deep into the debate itself, we’ll discuss how we ended up with a postal survey on whether the Marriage Act 1961 should be changed.
Stuff we discussed:
- Referendums are used in Australia to amend the Constitution, per section 128.
- Antony Green’s blog explains the difference between a plebiscite and a referendum.
- Buzzfeed’s article on the 2004 changes to the Marriage Act 1961 and some great Hansard extracts from politicians at the time.
- This 2016 article has plenty of inaccuracies, including imputing Liberal MP Tim Wilson likes the plebiscite and implies that marriage and family are the same thing.
- This 2017 article debunks the 2016 one nicely.
Music credit to Jetstar Rollercoaster by Roger Plexico. Enjoy!
EDIT: I felt the need to make a slight revision to this episode on 17 August 2017… because I got a bit too angry in the original.