In this episode I’m joined by Ben as we discuss electoral boundary redistributions. Why do they happen? Who gets to decide? And what will it mean for the next election? Also enjoy my made up Latin term Electio Terminus Distrubutus (thanks Google translate).
Stuff we discussed:
- Election Yoda’s take on the recent electoral boundary malarky.
- And this is what the mainstream media think will happen to South Australia’s missing seat.
- Section 24 of our Constitution says a lot of things about how many people should be in the House of Representatives.
- The Parliamentary Library has a great resource if you want to know all the legislative powers.
- The Government Gazette lists all of the formulas and population statistics that go into making the decision.
Music credits to Fawm by Damon Boucher and Guliver’s Travel Park by Roger Plexico. Enjoy!
EDIT – near the end of the episode I incorrectly say Victoria has a current Liberal government. They of course have a current Labor government. Whoops!